With the stress of Reflections over, I was ready to get my life back in order and take it easy. Then, I got "the call" from Brother Whitehead (second counsellor). Since I had heard that a friend of mine was getting called in the same night with her husband, I figured they had gotten the big callings out of the way and were giving Steve and I our smaller assignments. I really felt that I should be the wolf leader with my friend Jen, because Asher is in wolves and it would be fun to be with him and his littel buddies. I also figured that if anyone got a "big" calling it would be Steve, not me. I have had a strong feeling lately that I need to be home with my kids, get my house in order, get our food storage together, have better family home evenings, read more with the kids, play with my baby, etc. I certainly wasn't ready for the calling I got!
The first time I was called into a Primary presidency was just before Asher was born--8 and 1/2 years ago! I remember I felt like I was going to pass out--I literally felt the blood drain from my face. I hadn't been in primary since I graduated from it, and I didn't consider myself a primary type person. The president would ask me to do things, but told me everything I did had to be approved by her. She made me write the whole program, turn it in to her to be checked, then she picked it apart and rewrote the whole thing herself. It was very strange.
That president moved and I was called as second counsellor to another primary president in that Phoenix ward. This primary president was not even active in the church, really. She hardly ever showed up to sacrament meeting, and was usually late to sharing time when it was her turn. Many times I had to ask the chorister to do singing time first while we waited for the president to show up to do sharing time. Things were much different there in our little, struggling ward! One sunday I conducted, did sharing time, lead the singing, and handed out rolls. It was just me and the pianist and two primary teachers!
When I was called as first counsellor in this ward in March 2004, I was really excited. I had been in the ward without a calling for 5 months and was starting to wonder if they didn't need me here in Utah. I learned so much in those 3+ years, but when I was released in May of this year, I was ready to go. I think we all felt a little burned out and the need for some new ideas. I'd shared all my good stories, and used all my good ideas already, and was relieved to not have to go through having my second baby while in the same presidency!
On thursday when they called Steve and me in, I had no idea what to expect. I swear he said "Steve, we'd like to call Sara as Primary President." That really threw me off! My first reaction was shock, then confusion (did this new bishop forget that I was just in primary?), then anger (what the heck!?#%@ can't you think of anyone else you insensitive men? I just had a baby!!!) I asked them if they were sure, and they assured me they had taken everything into consideration and still felt strongly that I should be the president.
I haven't really slept since then, and it's midnight now on night 4 of no sleep and I'm still wired about this. I think I scared brother Whitehead with my psychotic behavior. On Friday at the ward party I practically broke down to him because I had no idea who to call for counsellors. I have never had to do that before, and knowing how much work goes into primary, I knew I had to choose who Heavenly Father wanted. I went through the ward list and wrote down every woman's name and thought about each one (even Sister Potter who is in the wheel chair!). I drove around the ward hoping to gain inspiration. I went to the ward party hoping someone's face would start glowing or something.
Finally I told Brother Whitehead on Saturday that I would have the names to him that day because I had to put and end to my misery! He looked sympathetic and almost scared by my haggard appearance Saturday morning! Steve gave me a blessing then took the kids to a soccer game, and while I was cleaning my house in peace, I decided who would logically be good counsellors. I knew I needed solid, dependable women. To make a long, very dramatic story short, I chose Nicole and Sallie, felt good about them, called Brother Whitehead (who sounded much relieved), and prayed that they would accept, which they did!
Now the work begins! We had a meeting today to figure out what needs to be done. We are a new ward now starting from scratch, and everyone has to be called anew. It is quite overwhelming, but I have decided that the most important thing is for my life to have balance, that my family comes first, that primary doesn't have to be over the top, that I don't have to fit the cutsie primary president mold, and that I can do it because Heavenly Father chose me to do it....
Now I'm going to try to go to bed...and maybe even sleep!
6 comments:
Sara,
What a busy month!!! Our Reflections are due this week and we have been busy putting together a Video, photographs, and 3-D Art projects. I am sure that you will do an excellent job as Primary President. The Lord knows you and even as busy as you are he will bless you. We hope things are going well for you and your family. Are you coming up north for any of the upcoming holidays? If so, we would love to see you.
Janan
i was shocked on sunday when they announced you as the new primary president! not because you are not qualified, (obviously, you are extremely talented) but for the reasons you just listed in your blog. but having said that, i think you have a great attitude and you are right, the Lord will bless those He has chosen. period. end of story. now get some sleep!!! :)
I was talking to Shaylynn (your bishop's daughter) and he told her that he definitely knew who was supposed to be the primary president and not many else. You see, it is clear that you will be a great leader. And you are much more talented and organized than me.
you are my hero. good luck.
You will be a great Primary President. It sounds like you have ALOT of experience in primary presidencies. You have some good counselors, too. I was shocked that they called you, (only because you just had a baby!!!). The kids will absolutely love you.
On a side note, I think Jonah is soo cute. He looks really happy receiving his award. Brianne will definitely be sad not to have her future husband in our ward anymore!!
I didn't realize just exactly how much time you have spent in primary. No one can say you don't have the experience to back it up ;) I know you'll be fantastic, but it sure is a lot of work. You are going to be entitled to lots and lots and lots and lots of blessings. Grab 'em all.
Post a Comment