Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Catching Up

So much has happened since I last updated this that I was tempted to just give up for good. I keep hearing about how people hate to read blogs that brag about their kids and post cute pictures--so cliche! So, if you're one of those people, don't bother reading this! Really, if it wasn't for my kids I wouldn't have much to say!


Sydney has been busy as usual this year. She started official piano lessons last Fall, and found "Edward's Lullaby" from Twilight on the Internet and plays it beautifully. At her piano recital last Monday she won the award for "best overall performance" for her age group and got a trophy. She has also spent most of this year since Christmas working on her history fair for her honors English/Utah history class. She created a web site about Juanita Brooks, a Utah historian from St. George who wrote about the Mountain Meadows massacre and lots of other pioneer/Native American issues. Last week at the regional history fair competition she won second place and will be going on to state in April. Sometimes she is my favorite child. I love her independence and humor. She gets home an hour and a half before the other kids, and sometimes we spend the whole time speaking "Nacho Libre" style. Lots of "ju do not know what ju are talking about...jour crasy!" It's fun having a child who gets it, and I am so proud of what a strong girl she is.



Asher, Asher, Asher....He has also been practicing piano and did a bang up job on "Crazy Cars" for the judge and at the recital. He also did a web site for his history fair on Jacob Hamblin and won first place in his school. I apologize for not giving him enough credit. He thought he was the only one who did a web site, but actually that wasn't true. He legitimately won, even beating older kids. Way to go Asher! He came home with a medal singing "I won first place, oh yeah, I'm going to region!" He was also so proud of all the kids in our neighborhood that also did well on the history fair. He also played basketball this winter on a 3 on 3 league and really liked it. Every time a teammate yelled for him to pass the ball to him, he would do it, even though they would rarely pass to him even when he was wide open. I think the half-court, 3 on 3 format was mostly to blame. Steve and I both agreed that aggressive, mean, ball hogs at his age are a dime a dozen, but Asher has something only few have, and we wouldn't trade him for anything! He is genuinely nice, loves little children, especially his little sister, loves the gospel and scouts, and generally is happy and content.



Jonah was my favorite child for a while. My favorites change often as you can see (though Bridget is usually up there near the #1 spot!). We were talking to Bridget and I asked "isn't she the most beautiful girl in the world?" And he said "yes, and you are too." He also brought me the DVD cover of Pride and Prejudice and said that I looked just like Kira Knightly. So I may be biased, but I like that little boy. He drops in ranking once in a while when he falls into his whining mode, but he's working on remembering to use a normal voice to ask for things. He continues to love to draw, and notices every doodle I draw, studies illustrations in books, and sometimes sneaks out of bed to finish his drawings. I sometimes worry about his OCD tendencies--he can't stand to leave a drawing or puzzle undone--can't even sleep! He likes clothes that match and are cool--I guess that's not so unusual, but his older brother isn't like that! He is quiet and pretty serious--I think I was like that when I was younger. Slapstick comedy gets a big laugh from him, like when the old grandma beats up the lion in Madagascar 2--I've never heard him laugh so hard. He also loves to play with friends every day, but is very picky about who he plays with--a little stuck up? I hope not!



I could and should probably write a memoir about Gabe. That boy never ceases to amaze me. Of all my kids I think he is the most likely candidate for student body president some day. He knows everyone's first and last name, from Alec Welch (newborn) to Sister Potter, and people of every age and gender in between. He is fearless, coordinated, friendly, argumentative and articulate for his age, and did I mention fearless? He came home from Corbin's house about a month ago riding a two-wheeler with no training wheels. I asked "how did you learn to ride a two-wheeler????" I was shocked, and a bit disappointed and embarrassed when he told me that Geno (Corbin's dad) taught him and took off the training wheels while he was playing over there. Now he has found new freedom and rides everywhere on that little bike. Poor Chris Jackson--he goes over and asks if Kirk is home from school three or four times a day!

One week out of six I teach preschool for Gabe and his 5 little buddies. In January it was my turn and the topic for the day was "fish." So, even though I joked about sending all the kids home with a fish at first, the more I thought about it, the more irresistible the idea became. What 3 or 4 year old wouldn't be thrilled to come home with a REAL fish in a plastic bag?
I don't know the fate of the other 4 fish (one of the preschoolers was "conveniently" not there to get his), but Gabe's little "Squirt" lived only a few short weeks in our home. A few weeks ago while I was changing his/her water in front of Gabe and Bridget, Squirt jumped out of the strainer into the garbage disposal. Gabe has a big heart, and his eyes filled with tears and fear. I tried to put my hand down there, but I just couldn't do it! It was squirming and jumping around! I ran the water and tried to work up the courage, but...I'm the worst mom!!! I called Steve at work screaming and crying and cringing, and Bridget kept looking down into the sink, then looking up at me and crying. At the point when I was sure the poor fish was brain dead, Gabe was going to try to put his hand down the sink and get it out, so I finally turned on the garbage disposal and told Gabe the fish went to live with Nemo in the ocean. Gabe was traumatized and cried and cried for poor little Squirt.

Gabe looks pretty beat up right now--a band-aid on his left eye, a swollen chipmunk cheek from falling off of Tucker's scooter, and a chewed up toe from falling off his bike without shoes. Oh Gabe, just be careful with your little body!

Bridget is the most beautiful thing in the world. I say that subjectively of course! She is everything a little girl should be--she loves pretty things like bracelets and hair bows and shoes of every size. She plays with babies (and even poured baby powder all over it and her room the other day). She likes watching Barbie movies and singing Nutcracker songs(Barbie "cack cack"). She gives hugs and kisses on the lips, and snuggles at night. I know I didn't appreciate having a baby girl the first time, and I'm making the most of it this time around. I love her little round, curvy girl body--it makes femininity so beautiful. And I am so sad because I meant to capture every new word and trick and write them all down. Since I have written anything about her last, she has gone from saying "ba ba" "ma ma", etc. to saying "what the heck!" ("da heck"?) used correctly in context! My favorite is that when she coughs, she has to pat some part of her body, usually her bum. She has started going to nursery, and just like her sister before her, she eats all of her own snacks and finishes off everyone else's too!

Steve is still hanging around here somewhere, though it seems like I see him less and less. I have been spending the past few evenings at the care center with my Grandpa Jones, and after a few hours in that living hell I have no idea how Steve does it day in and day out. A friend of his called from Arizona offering him a job where he would work with young people and athletes--even the professional hockey team. He immediately turned him down, but I almost want him to take it now. I love it here in Santa Clara, but there is NO WAY I could work where Steve does--if he wanted to move I would do it.

My big news is that I applied to teach English at Dixie College and got the job. I don't even know why I did it--I guess I wanted to see if I would get hired, and I thought it would be fun to teach in person--mostly so I could get dressed and leave the house (it was one of those days when I called them up!). Now they want me to teach as many classes as I can, and I'm panicking. I think I will just teach one class in the Fall. I must say the whole application/interview process was stressful but exciting. I had to do a 20 minute presentation to a panel of professors, pretending that they were freshman. I actually loved it, and did a PowerPoint presentation for the first time ever and now they think I'm all techie--I had to laugh! Just ask Steve how techie I am! (And Sydney, who changed and updated my blog and added music, etc!).

Lately my life is filled with lots of worry about grandparents--I have three here in St. George and they seem to all be struggling physically and mentally right now. Grandpa Jones broke his hip last week and had surgery and is now in a care center--not doing so well. If they would just get all the cats and mice off the ceiling in his room he might be able to relax a little! It is no laughing matter--last night I dreamt of those cats--am I hallucinating too?

Well, I feel better now having actually posted something myself. I'm sure my next post will be understatedly witty and deeply intellectual, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

Taylor & Annie said...

That was so fun to read - it made me miss your family and realize I don't know when we'll get to see you again. You can do posts like that whenever as far as I'm concerned.

jen said...

Why have a blog if you can't brag about your kids?! I am glad you are back to blogging. The story of Gabe's little goldfish made me laugh out loud! Poor Gabe :(.

How exciting that you got a job teaching at Dixie. You will do an awesome job.