I heard about a study "they" did about bloggers. Apparently they are happier people--something about how writing about problems helps relieve them, and how feeling connected to the world is comforting.
So here's my complaint of the day. I just got back from the court house. Last week I got pulled over for not signaling when I changed lanes (I have been pulled over twice in the past month and Steve once for the most miniscule offenses. Prior to this month I haven't been pulled over since my honeymoon--does anyone else from St. George think the city is desperate for money?). Anyway, I just got a warning but I handed the cop an expired insurance card on accident. He wouldn't even let me look for the correct one, but said I would have to take my current insurance card to the court house to prove that I was insured to avoid a fine.
So I trapse down there today with three little kids (Claire came along), and I get to the window and there is a lady at the window chatting on the phone staring at me, and the next window over is closed but another lady is just sitting there trying not to make eye contact with me. Finally after about 5 minutes the girl on the phone asks the closed-window lady if she can help me. She rolls her eyes and opens for business. I show her my carbon copy ticket and say:
"I am here to show you my proof of insur---"
Lady, cutting in and wagging her head from side to side. Now imagine the frown-smile and nasally response:
"You need a letter from your insurance company stating that you were insured on that day."
Me: "Well, you can see right here on my card th----"
Lady interrupting: "Neh uh, that won't work...you need a signed letter from your insurance company" [she is bored but at the same time exhasperated by my very exhistence--if it wasn't for me she could still be cleaning out her nails and staring into space]
Me: "The officer told me to just bring in my insurance car--"
Lady (still shaking her crunchy permed curls methodically) : "That may be true, but you need a letter from your insurance company, and it looks like it is due today."
Then she hands me a half slip of white paper and says:
"Look, it's in writing right here. I'll even highlight it for you."
NOTE: I had never seen this paper before!
Me: "There is nothing like that in writing on my ticket though, and the officer said to just---."
Lady butting her butt in again: "But it's in writing right here [she repeats, lest I had already forgotton this excellent line of reasoning--I mean, come on, it's IN WRITING--that's big time!],
and I've even highlighted it for you"
(I'll give you something in writing! The sad thing is she thinks I'm the idiot)
Okay, the study is true--I actually do feel better now!
7 comments:
I think for sure I would not be a nice person. I get really angry when people treat me like that & so I put up this defense. Yeah - I heard that they were cutting states income back so that police officers are really now trying to pull over as much as they can. Ridiculous.
Oh, welcome back!! I think the nuts and bolts of blogging is we all just want to feel validated. Nothing does it better than getting everything off your chest (without interruption) and then a whole bunch of your besties saying-- You are absolutely right! You go girl! or I feel your pain! or what ever. It is therapeutic.
So,
You are absolutely right-- that lady was a total idiot.
You go girl-- way to try to reason with stupidity.
AND
I feel your pain-- dealing with the public at large is a total joke most of the time.
Don't worry, I got your back. :)
That is terrible. First of all, how rude of the police officer to not even let you look for the correct insurance card! Second of all, why do some people think it is OK to be rude and demeaning to others? Seriously!! So sorry you had to go through all that.
Here, I'll put in down IN WRITING for you--gov office workers are morons, at least the 2 you ran into.
I hope she did the half mean/fake laugh at the same time while saying, "I'm so-o-o-r-r-ry, b-u-u-t i-i-its due toda-a-a-ay.
Tom had that exact same conversation a few weeks ago. He got a warning for speeding, and couldn't find the updated insurance card. The officer told him the exact same thing. When I called the insurance company they said they always have to send letters and have no idea why the police officers fail to mention that.
welcome back to the world of blogging! i got pulled over in feb for my FIRST TIME EVER for a broken tail light. did the same courthouse deal as you, but the guy who worked the window i was at, was actually nice and helpful. perhaps he was a hologram or just a temp. because most gov workers are like the ones you described. sad but true. ;)
Post a Comment