Saturday, July 28, 2007

100 things about me

Okay, here it is. This was very difficult for me to complete for some reason, but I think it was good to think about myself as a person--I tend to get kind of lost after having a baby. I wanted to scan in an old picture of me but I can't figure out my scanner--I'll have to do that later.

1.I have a vivid memory of things that happened when I was really young—like 2 years old. I remember falling asleep in my high chair eating a tuna sandwich. I also remember thinking the dragonflowers outside our apartment in California when I was 2 were real dragons.

2.I once sang “The Gambler” on the Las Vegas strip for money.

3. I was a delegate to the Clallam County convention for Bill Clinton, back in ‘92 when we knew George Bush Sr. would win.

4. I went to state in speech in high school.

5. I am not a great speller. My little sister beat me in the school spelling bee!

6. Math and Science were my best subjects in high school. Now I have a Masters in English.

7. I was Jr. Prom Duchess.

8. When I first moved from Utah to Port Angeles, WA, there was a rumor going around that I was a model from Europe!

9. I was a tom boy until about 8th grade.

10. I got mono in 4th grade. The worst part about it was having everyone ask me what boy I had kissed.

11. I never thought about having children and I never thought about what I would name my kids—it never crossed my mind growing up.

12. When I was young I made it a goal to one day join the Tabernacle Choir.

13. I secretly wish I could be in a musical—even just in the background because I don’t sing well.

14. I played the viola for 6 years.

15. My dream job would be to teach church history at BYU—not that I know enough about it, but I would like to learn.

16. I would also love to be a film critic, as long as I didn’t have to watch horror movies.

17.My favorite movie is “A Room with a View.” I also love “As Good as it Gets,” “Jerry Maguire,” “Anne of Green Gables,” “Pride and Prejudice,” “Sleepless in Seattle,” “Much Ado about Nothing,” “ Sense and Sensibility.”

18. My biggest regret is not being nicer to my three younger sisters growing up.

19. My greatest desire is for my kids to be kind to each other.

20. I don’t like to talk about my feelings when I am in an argument with Steve—I would rather just forget about the whole thing. Steve is the “girl” in our relationship in that respect!

21. I am almost always the last person to leave any party or social event. I draw my energy from people around me.

22. At the same time, I go crazy if I can’t be alone sometimes.

23. Steve and I were engaged four times—the last time I asked him to marry me.

24. I did gymnastics for 10 years.

25. I dislocated my elbow on the uneven parallel bars when I was 17—that ended gymnastics for me.

26. I don’t know how to whisper, and I absolutely hate it when someone whispers in my ear.

27. I don’t like furry animals. If I had to choose between keeping a dog or a snake, I’d choose the snake.

28. I love to read. My favorite books are Middlemarch by George Eliot, and The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis. And, of course, I love the Harry Potter books!

29. When I was really young I always preferred pretending I was poor to pretending I was rich. My best friend Janan and I used to pretend we ran an orphanage for children whose parents were killed in the war.

30. We also liked to pretend we were going on a date with Michael Jackson

31. I spend too much time worrying about things I can’t control, like war, disease, disabilities, getting old, death.

32. I can’t keep a straight face when I’m telling a funny story or joke. I always start laughing before the punch line because I think I’m so funny.

33. I have run the St. George Marathon twice. The first time was when I was 29 years old, just before we moved here. I thought after I turned 30 I would be too old to run. The second time I ran it (after 30!) I ran it much faster!

34. I always wanted to live in St. George and still can’t believe we’re here sometimes.

35. I never cooked chicken before I was married.

36. I was in charge of making dinner a lot growing up—stuff like mac-n-cheese, tacos, sloppy joes, fish sticks, canned soup, grilled cheese, scrambled eggs etc. Maybe that’s why I never liked cooking.

37. I actually like to cook now!

38. I have to have a goal or deadline to motivate me. For instance, Robyn told me my homework for this weekend was to write this list. I like to put lists of goals for the day on the fridge and cross off what I have accomplished. Sometimes I write things I have already done on the list just so I can cross it off.

39. One of my long-term goals is to go to Europe with Steve. We want to start in Prague and work our way over to London. Anyone want to watch 5 kids for a few weeks?

40. I lettered in track, gymnastics, debate, diving, and academics in high school, but never bought a letterman’s jacket.

41. I was the student body vice president of my high school—Port Angeles High.

42. I was also a cheerleader for about 3 months at the beginning of 9th grade for Kennedy Jr. High in West Valley City. We moved in November of that year so I had to give it up.

43. My 9th grade year was one the hardest school year—I went from being the oldest in jr. high, to being a freshman in high school where I knew nobody and it rained all the time(though not as much as Forks which was in our stake, but then again, there weren’t any hot vampires in Port Angeles either.)

44. My parents moved back to Utah before my senior year, so I stayed with a friend’s family for my senior year of high school. Obviously I learned to like Port Angeles.

45. I haven’t been back to Port Angeles since the day after I graduated.

46. I never picked up my high school diploma. Maybe I need to get my G.E.D.?

47. Being in primary in Santa Clara was my favorite calling ever. I also loved teaching the teacher prep Sunday school class in Peoria, AZ.

48. My least favorite calling was 2nd counselor in the Young Women’s in Phoenix.

49. I have been accused of being too “churchy”

50. I was told by a Sunday school teacher during class as a teenager that I would grow up to be ugly.

51. I used to think that my big nose and freckles would prevent me from ever getting married.

52. I have been insecure about my teeth since I was 12 years old.

53. I do like my hair, though.

54. I wish one of my children resembled me. One time someone told me they knew who my daughter was right away because she looked just like me. She thought my daughter was someone else, not Sydney.

55. Most of my closest friends in high school were boys.

56. A group of junior boys “bought” me on “senior slave day” and made me wear a “legalize marijuana” t-shirt.

57. I went to debate camp and got in trouble for vandalizing the dorms. My debate partner and I thought we were "Anne of Green Gables" and "Anne of Avonlea"

58. My fondest memory from high school is the day I skipped school to go to the lake with my friends. I came home from school with a sunburn!

59. I worked for an environmental political action campaign the summer after I graduated.

60. I planned to become an environmental lawyer. Again, I don’t know how I ended up an English major.

61. I started teaching English at BYU when I was 21 years old.

62. I wrote my master’s thesis about a Quaker woman named Margaret Fell who lived in the 1600’s. She had a daughter named Bridget. Nobody in my family has read my thesis—not even Steve.

63. The day I defended my thesis was one of the highlights of my life.

64. My mom calls me “suggie” or “suggie pie” as a nickname.

65. Steve calls me “cheer” and I call him “cheeb.” We got these names from a little kid who lived in the apartments we managed when we were first married—he couldn’t pronounce our names right.


66. In high school my nicknames were “Sara Munchhausen Jones” or “Sara P. Jones” or “Joneser” (which was a negative term in my school meaning someone that stands people up—you could say “I got Jonesed” meaning “dissed,” etc.). I was also called “Brunhilde” by my German class buddies.

67. I shared my full name with a girl that was a year older than I. We had chemistry together, and our teacher, Mr. Foote, asked us every time he called the roll if we were sisters. Yes, of course our parents named us both Sara Jones. We won’t even mention that she was a 6’1” blonde state-champion shot-put and javelin thrower and I weighed 104 pounds.

68. I grew up watching and memorizing Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I still know most of it by heart. My dad also used to wake me up to watch Saturday Night Live.

69. My favorite bands of all times are Depeche Mode, The Smiths/Morissey, and The Cure.

70. The only concerts I went to as a teenager were “Erasure” and “Depeche Mode.”

72. Steve and I try to go to a musical or play for every anniversary. My favorite musical is Les Miserables (but I haven’t seen Wicked yet, and I guess I won’t see it this year either!).

73. I have a hard time doing things that I know I am not good at. That’s why my yard looks like it does—I’m afraid whatever I do won’t look right so I don’t do anything.

74. I learn best by reading. I have a hard time listening.

75. I am working on being a better listener.

76. I love to read with my kids.

77. When I was 7 or 8 I thought I was going to marry Superman

78. I dated a guy who later announced he was gay. I was the last girl he kissed.

79. I really wanted to serve a mission before getting married.

80. I want to serve at least two missions with Steve when we’re older—one to the Czech Republic and Slovakia (since Steve went there on his mission) and one to Missouri or Nauvoo.

81. Steve and I are very different, but certain traits have rubbed off on each other over the years. Steve now loves Mexican food and can analyze movies according to my criteria.

82. I now understand football and don’t eat potato chips because of Steve.

83. I have been told I look like several different famous people. For instance, people have told me I look like Julia Roberts (because I used to have her hairstyle), Nicole Kidman (I had her “Far and Away” hairstyle too) and Wynona Ryder.

84. On the negative side, I have been told I look like Sigourney Weaver (isn’t she like 65 years old?) and the scary skeleton grandma from “Pet Cemetery.” How flattering.

85. I have had my hair permed twice. Both were disastrous.

86. If I could do it all again, I would get a key to my house and wear it around my neck. We were always locked out of our house after school. My sisters and I always say the latch-key kids had it good—they actually had a key!

87.I was never boy crazy. I was “in love” with the same boy all through high school—Karl Wegman. We never were boyfriend/girlfriend, but I was jealous every time he went out with someone and he was jealous when I went out with someone. Once he told me he loved me but couldn’t stand me but thought we would get married some day—his parents wanted him to marry me. I tried to convince him not to be an atheist.

88. On one of our first dates, Steve tried to warm up my feet by blowing on them. We went miniature golfing and I wore sandals. I thought he was really nice but a bit too cheesy for me.

89. My goal is to learn to make whole wheat bread. I just bought a wheat grinder.

90. My other short-term goal is to enjoy my cute little newborn and not talk about my body weight or size.

91. My other goal is to finish this list—it is taking forever!

92. I have always had very strange but vivid dreams. Many of them are violent like horror movies or war movies, and I don’t ever watch movies that are even close to as scary as my dreams.

93. One recurring dream is about my teeth falling out, usually right before prom. I try to use rocks, cauliflower, corn, etc. to replace my missing teeth.

94. Another recurring dream is the one many have about not ever going to class (usually math class) until the end of the term and realizing that I have to take the final without knowing anything about the subject.

95. I also dream of having to choose whether or not to marry Steve. Sometimes we have several children but I’m still trying to decide if I’m going to actually marry him. I think that whole engagement thing for me was very traumatic!

96. Another recurring dream is that Steve is called on a mission again but I have to stay home.

97. Speaking of math classes, I once got thrown into a locker by a bunch of football players who were a year older because I wouldn’t let them cheat off me in math.

98. I also got thrown up against a locker by Bergen Wyseth—a big mean jock girl who hated me.

99. I think all of my children are beautiful and they are my greatest possessions

100. Steve is my best friend.

The End!

8 comments:

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

Way to go! I laughed hard at some things, the getting locked out of the house thing still really bothers me.....what mother does that? Oh, and I love your hair too!

andrea said...

Do you have a big nose?!?!? That, I have never noticed. For what it's worth I have always thought you were absolutely beautiful (not that you were saying you weren't...just putting it out there, LOL) Such a fun read!

kathleen said...

Sara,

I learned some new things about you. That was fun!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sara, if your teeth do fall out, don't use corn- most of the time corn is too yellow. Try chicklets, that way if they fall out, they'll freshen your breath too.

Eden said...

For the record . . . I have read SOME of your thesis. And why didn't you mention the fact that we were forced to bow down to you (as peasants)?

saramarilee said...

Hey Rachel! Maybe you should set the record straight then by writing your own blog!

Katie said...

You also failed to mention that your youngest sister could cook better than you in 2nd grade than you could in high school. I'd like some mention too!!

saramarilee said...

Katie,
I sense some animosity here--I never said I was good at cooking. By the way, this list was 100 things about ME, so write your own list!