I loved the stream of consciousness style of Love in the Time of Cholera and was drawn in to the exotic feel of the setting (still not sure of which Carribbean island it takes place on--I should research that a bit) and the flowing narrative. However, the characters were so odd and behaved so ridiculously that it was impossible to empathize or in any way relate to them. What's more, the insestuous relationship between Florentino and America his neice (who commits suicide because the old man rejects her) is more than disturbing! I would like to see the movie just to see if the characters they portray are anything like the ones in my head.
And what can I say about Atonement? Oh, the writing style....wow! So well-written. I felt like I was in a college literature class again and had to pat myself on the back for recognizing some of the literary allusions. The first half of the book shows the same seemingly insignificant scenes from different characters' points of view, and in the end we see that point of view makes all the difference. What a downer of a book, though! I laughed once because due to a Freudian slip the main character, Robbie Turner, accidentally sends the wrong letter to Cecilia that contains a downright naughty message she was never meant to read. This somewhat innocent blunder, however, turns out to ruin his whole life in the end--so I guess it is the opposite of funny! I haven't seen the movie, but want to now--again so that I can see if they portray it the way I see it in my mind. I can brace myself for the depression and the hatred I feel toward Briony--the meddling evil little sister who seems to feel she somehow "atoned" for her sins by re-writing the story of her sister and Robbie, but with a happy ending. I guess I'll now just wait for the "clean flics" versions to come out. Who wants to come over for movie night when they do?
1 comment:
Good luck getting those movies edited. By the way, not all little sisters are meddlesome and evil. I, for one, am a perfect angel.
Post a Comment