Sunday, February 3, 2008

Has it really been that long....

since I last posted? I had such good intentions for posting more often this year. It seems like now that things are back to a normal routine, time passes too quickly and weeks go by without me stopping to write anything.

Let's see, this past week Asher came down with a really bad case of strep throat. He played in his basketball game on Tuesday, then threw up all night, and by the morning he couldn't even talk his throat was so swollen. I have honestly never seen him so sick, and that's saying a lot because he has been sick a lot in his lifetime. He couldn't talk, eat, drink, sit up, dress himself...he didn't move for about 36 hours straight. I really think if it wasn't for modern medicine he would have died--scary. The morning after he took his antibiotics, he was back to his normal, chatty, fact-flinging self and I was ready to send him back to school before the 24 hour quarantine time was over(but I didn't:0). So far no one else has come down with strep--knock on wood.

We found out Sydney won both Districts and Regions for her Reflections story. Now it goes on to State. Not bad for 15 minutes of work on her part! Yesterday was momentous--it was her first trip to the mall without parents. She and Berlyn hung out there for a few hours together and found some deals at Aeropostale. They both hated "Hot Topic" and say they are going to have nightmares about that store.

I can't think of much for Jonah lately. Apparently he and Gabe are concerned with choosing girlfriends and boyfriends for everyone. According to Natalie, Jonah's girlfriend is Ruby (3 year old cousin!), Gabe and Claire are hooking up, and, of course, Bridget and Jude have a prearranged marriage.

Funny story about Gabe and church...imagine that! Today Gabe told his primary teacher he had to "go potty" and ran into the men's bathroom so she couldn't go in after him. She stood outside the bathroom and kept calling in to see if he was okay. He kept calling back to say he was fine and that he was still going potty. After a while he came running out of the bathroom stark naked! No shoes, socks, shirt, pants, belt, underwear.....NOTHING!!!! There were many witnesses, let's just put it that way! Christy and Lisa had to chase him down and take him into the classroom to get him dressed. I guess the little sunbeam girls were aghast! What a guy!

Bridget had her picture taken by Staci this past week. I can't wait to see them. I'm glad we did them that day because she came down with a cold the next day. It's the dreaded month of February. We hope she will be the first of our five to make it through her first February without getting RSV.

Steve is sick now too with a fever and a cough. I sound like my grandparents--nothing to talk about except sicknesses. At least I'm not updating you on bowel movements...yet! Friday we went to Jimmy's birthday dinner...he has lots of friends and family and we had a good time. We had a good laugh about basketball. Oh, yes, I've been roped into playing on the church basketball team. After my Thursday game, Steve kindly told me that I need to stay back by the three point line because I am preventing Natalie (who can actually play basketball) from scoring! I told Jimmy (who played on the men's team with Steve) and Nat what Steve had said, so Jimmy asks Steve at dinner: "Relatively speaking, who did worse in their basketball games--me or Sara?" One of those lose/lose situations for Steve!!! He refused to answer! We're planning our Disney trip with the Slemboski's for March.

Today was our primary fast for the less active children in our ward. People keep asking me how it went, and I'm not sure. At least the kids had a chance to fast with a purpose, and that in itself is a good experience. I think they seem to be more aware of their friends and neighbors and have at least talked about what they can to to fellowship them.

Okay, at least I have written something to document our lives for the past few weeks. Now I'm going to go read! Goodnight!

7 comments:

Camille said...

Oooo I hope no one else gets sick-strep is the worst!LOLS about Gabe. I can't believe we haven't even met him. Your kids are just growing up! Sydney at the mall by herself! Wow!
Yes, it does seem like that booster hadn't been washed since AZ. but since we have moved about 6 times since then.;)..I swear it had only been a week or two...:) so gross I know. Whatcha readin?

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

Hey thanks for the the great weekend of strep throat at our house!!!!! None of the kids got it, just Bob and I! Just kidding....but I can't believe you sent Asher to school before the 24 hours was up. I don't want anymore sickness at our house this month. I hate Februaury becasue it seems like no one is ever well. I am glad you went to Jimmy's party we were really bummed to miss it...sounds like it was a great time. Well glad most of your family is on the ammends... Nice to see you back in the blogging world.

Sarah said...

You packed a lot in that post--glad to hear strep has finally taken a hike. The story of naked-Gabe is just too too funny. You ALWAYS have the best church stories!

jen said...

That strep bug is definitely making the rounds this year. Luckily, Brianne is the only one in our family that got it a few weeks ago. Yuck! Gabe is so cute. You always have the best stories about him.

I happened to hear from a reliable source that you are pretty good at basketball!!

saramarilee said...

To Robyn, to clarify my blog, I was READY to send Asher back to school before the 24 hours were up, but I didn't actually do it!:0)

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

Oh, I am so glad to hear that!!!! Poor Asher was so sick!

andrea said...

I am so sorry. We had the strep bug making the rounds here too. Skylar got it, then I got it and then Skylar got it back. Finally they just put us all on antibiotics. It was awful. I loved your Gabe story. I am honestly sorry I missed that moment. He is SO funny!