Sunday, April 27, 2008

A quick update...

for posterity's sake. I haven't taken a picture in weeks, so this post won't be too exciting, but I feel like I should at least mention what we've been up to. I've been up since 6 am (ward council this morning) and haven't had a nap, so we'll see how long I last here!

Well, I've started really working on my course revision. The past two Saturday afternoons I have spent at the library researching my new text book and trying to choose what the students are going to read and what I have to change in my original course so that it all works. As usual, I underestimated how much work this will be, but it's a good feeling to at least have started working on it! It was starting to feel like a horrible nightmare--getting paid for doing absolutely nothing while people are counting on me! It was like the dream that you have forgotten to go to your math class all semester and then realizing you have to take the final exam without knowing anything. I'm trying to decide whether or not to sign up for the St. George marathon. The deadline is Wednesday. If I can run 5 miles at my goal tempo tomorrow morning I will sign up. I hope to run it in under 4 hours this time. There, I've put it in print! I did get to go out with my friends for a birthday dinner on Thursday, so that was fun!

Steve's gone to "Standards Night" right now--I didn't know Young Men had standards:0)I don't think anything is new with him. He plays on his softball team every week and then helps the boys with baseball...I don't know...a lot of basketball play-off games are going on I've noticed, but I really don't have much time to notice...sad!

Sydney played a good, but frustrating soccer game on Saturday. She had a few shots on the goal, but their team lost 0 to 1. The other team wasn't nearly as good as hers. She practices twice a week and has a game once a week. She came home frustrated to tears the other day because she had a B+ on her midterm report card. Her math teacher gave her zeros on work she turned in late after she missed days for Sarah's wedding. I overheard her friend telling her not to worry about one B+, but it was a big deal to her! She talked to the teacher and got it fixed.


Asher's been gung-ho (sp?) into cub scouts lately trying to make sure he gets his Wolf before June. Today he learned to tie a tie for an arrow point. It took him about a half hour and made us late for church but for scouts it's worth it, right? He is on a little league team now--the A's--and has had some great hits and also plays a great second base-man. I was proud of him today because he was the only one in his primary class that actually memorized the fourth article of faith like they were asked to do. He really did work on it this week on his own. He really is a religious, spiritual kid, for lack of a better way to say it.

Jonah is also on a little league t-ball team--the Indians--and love, love, loves it. He stands out in his short stop position and draws a circle around himself in the dirt and never moves outside of the circle. He's a good little left-handed hitter, but is always tempted to run to third base instead of first. After every game he folds up his pants and shirt and places them neatly on a high shelf in his room along with his cleats and hat. I have to sneak them into the wash and then fold and put them back without him noticing. Asher lost his hat before the first game--they are so different! Jo Jo is so funny about things. He would have been a great only child--he probably would have preferred it that way! It's amazing to watch how different children in the same family are! He wants a safe for his birthday so he can lock away his transformers, chap stick, money, and "kid connects" from his brothers that share his room and always lose stuff.

Gabe is actually acting better these days. I say that now, although he wouldn't take a nap today then fell asleep at five and is up not (9 pm) so who knows how I will feel about him in two hours when he is still awake sneaking out of his room for drinks, etc. We've found that he responds well to lots of love and kind words, but if he is ignored he gets mean. What a novel discovery! He sat by Sister Sorensen during sacrament meeting and that was really nice for us and him today! She even took him to the bathroom (and he was wearing underwear, an added bonus). Then he went right into primary and sat by his "friend" Ryann--everyone is Gaby's friend! He is a friendly little guy!

Bridgie girl is still our little angel baby. She is crawling everywhere, picking up little bits of whatever is on the floor and putting it straight into her mouth. She smiles and laughs, she can mimic some sounds. For instance, if I say "mama" she will copy me. We also think she is a genius because we say "what does the fishy say?" and she makes fishy noises with her mouth. She will also click her tongue when we say "what does the horsey say?" She also loves the "night night (lays her head down) MORNING! (pops up) game. She is snugly and sweet, rarely cries unless attacked by Gabe, loves her vegetables (weird, I know), is happy and easy going and absolutely beautiful in my opinion with her fuzzy red hair, pink skin, blue eyes, and curly reddish eyelashes. I'm wondering if she'll be left-handed like Steve because she seems to favor that hand. Soon enough she'll be throwing tantrums and being mischievous like all her other siblings, so for now I'm trying to appreciate every moment with her!

This upcoming week we have 2 soccer games, 5 baseball/softball games, 1 birthday party, field day and a quarterly primary activity on the calendar. That, and everything else that has to be done! Oh well, life is good!

No comments: