Sunday, May 18, 2008

Week in Review...silver lining only

You're supposed to focus on the good stuff, right? I mean, when all our kids are grown and gone from home (hopefully, right mom?) I want to be able to look back fondly on our years of raising little children and reminisce about the good ol' days. But this is a note to my future self--just enjoy life in whatever stage you're at, and don't be too sad that you aren't living in the past anymore! I guess that should be advice for my present self as well. So here's my week in review, with a silver lining.

Sydney auditioned and was chosen to perform in her school's talent show. She sang Colbe Callait's (sp.) "realize" with poise and fearlessness. I could never do that! I'm going to attempt to post a video here if we can figure it out. She also competed in the district track meet. She had to miss the school meet for Sarah's wedding so she wasn't able to do any running events, but she did compete in the standing long jump where she placed third. She also ran in a 4x100 relay.

Asher certainly didn't go to districts in track. After his school track meet I asked him how he did in his race that he was required to participate in--the 100 meter dash. He missed the 50 meter dash so he had no choice but to run that far! Anyway, I asked him how he did in the race and he said dejectedly "I came in second to last place." I said "good job, Ash...that's not that bad, " and he said with a straight face "Mom...there was a handicapped kid in the race." Funny little Asher. He did, however, catch his first fly ball in a real game situation this week. I wish I had a video of his reaction--shock and elation! That was the third out so he ran into the dugout with his ball raised and his cute squinty smile.

Jonah had his last T-ball game yesterday. His season was short and sweet. For every game he wore his cap in a way that made his ears stick out--he liked it that way! Jonah, Gabe, Bridge, and I all got to go to his Kindergarten swim day on Monday, and because of this silver lining mantra I have right now, that's as much as I can say about that!

Gabe.....
(notice there's nothing written here. Poor little Gabe...it's been a very rough week. He has a high fever and croup right now, and that's the highlight of his week for me.)

Moving on. Bridget is really getting around. We now have to keep all the bathroom doors closed to prevent her from reaching her favorite destination--the toilet. She also learned to climb the stairs. She said her first recognizable word last week "bye bye" while waving her hand (more like "ba ba"). My favorite is her "dancing" when she hears music--nothing is cuter!

We are all safe and sound and that's great---I'll take it! I am also going to try to take advantage of our last week of school, and gear up for summer vacation.

8 comments:

annebabe said...

way to be positive! sometimes i think we all need to be more "silver lining" focused as the other stuff really won't matter in the years to come. and way to go syd for bringing down the house!

Camille said...

Oh, to be three...It's a rough life...I noticed you've been reading a lot lately...how was Shop Girl? I've wondered about that one...

saramarilee said...

Don't read shopgirl!

Katie said...

Poor Gabe. Nathan's been terrible this week too. I hate potty training. I'll pay you $1000 to do it for me!! I just finished The Host and now I need another good book. Any suggestions?

saramarilee said...

"I Capture the Castle" was really enjoyable--I would definitely recommend it!

jen said...

Little Bridget has some moves!! That is really cute. And Syd did a great job singing!! It was fun watching your movie clips.

andrea said...

Aw...I love Gabe. He always makes me laugh. I think we all have one that gives us a true run for our money. Well some weeks I have three...

Sarah said...

Talented, busy kids. Hope your SLC visit went well.