Wednesday, August 20, 2008

a good day

I guess I first better back up and include some older pictures. Summer "vacation" seems like a distant dream, but here is Ash on the last day of swim team. Even though I forced him to do it he ended up really liking it. When I asked him how practice went one day he said "It was hard, but good." If you knew Ash you would know why this was music to my ears!

Here's the whole team. Ash is hiding because he forgot his green shirt.


And here's my big 7th grader on the first day of school as I dropped her off. School was no big deal for her, since this is her second year at Lava Ridge--she rules the school!


Asher and Jo were excited on their first day of school. Jo was most excited, but nervous, about eating lunch at school, riding the bus both ways, and having lots of recesses. Apparantly he had five recesses the first day! When did he have school time? We don't know!




Ash, fourth grade! I can't believe it!




Little Jo, a big first grader! It's wierd not to have him around to play/fight with Gabe!






And here's Gaby on his first day of preschool, a week later. We are rotating with 5 other boys and having preschool at home! This should be an adventure!







Such a Gabe smile. I am actually discovering that I like this little boy again! It's nice having time with him alone, and he is maturing some. He asks before he takes off, and is generally more content alone. I hate so pinpoint one specific sibling as causing much of the problems for Gabe, so I won't mention names!








Here's Bridgie girl sitting in the hot rocks. I am loving having more one-on-one time with her as well!








And here are the six preschool boys--destined to become best friends or worst enemies this year! From left to right: Ollie, Jackson, Corbin, Gabe, Griffin, and Andrew. You should have seen how hard it was just to get them all in one place for a picture. This should be an interesting year!






I'ts been so long since I've posted anything, I had to remind myself how to do it. I've been breathing a long sigh of relief ever since school started again, and this afternoon has been as close to perfect as I have had in a long time, thanks to Jen who has had Gabe over to play and swim with Janessa for 5 hours now, and a baby who has slept almost that long. Bridge, Gabe, and I spent the morning in the front yard pulling weeds, so by the time Gabe got invited to play, Bridge was all tuckered out. So tired, in fact, that I was forced to lay by her on my bed until she fell asleep. Once she was asleep (and I got a power nap myself), I had a passably clean house (don't look in any drawers, cupboards, closet, fridge, garage, van, or upstairs!) and had a good 2 hours to myself to finish my book club book. Too bad it was a depressing book! Then when Sydney got home she practiced her instruments (viola and piano), Jonah and Ash came home next and I had a chance to read with Jo Jo alone. Oh, the simple pleasures of life!


One thing that would have made it better would be some fresh fruit or vegetables. I am sticking to my grocery budget now that school has started, and we spent it all in Park City for our anniversary. So, I'm not going grocery shopping until Friday, even if it kills me or if we all die of starchy carb overload! I made rice crispy treats for some of the Primary teachers and the kids ate the rest for their snack. Note the white, bland color. We had German pancakes for dinner last night, and tonight we are having chicken in the crock pot with cream of chicken soup over rice with some frozen green beans. Again, a creamy, pale, starchy dinner--but at least is has some protein! I'm almost starting to feel like Leah in the book I just finished--The Poisonwood Bible--with all the boiled manioc root they ate. But, what a stupid comparison. I really can't relate to living in Africa, and NEVER want to be able to relate!






















2 comments:

Camille said...

Good to hear from ya! We have started school too and so for some of the day I only have one little guy running around my ankles. It's wierd, but fun...a little to easy...#5 is on the way in Feb...I could use some tips!

farmgirl said...

I could not be happier to have school back in. I feel like I haven't been able to really enjoy it yet....we've had other issues at our house. Good thing it lasts 9 months! :0)