Friday, September 19, 2008

Breaking Dawn





****notice--if you loved Breaking Dawn, please don't read this--I don't want you to hate me. And, just so you know, I'm still planning to see Twilight opening night, so there's the hypocrite in me!


I just finished reading Breaking Dawn--what a joke! There's a reason why the "happily ever after" part in most books is only about 5-10 pages at most. Even though we think we want to see the happy couple together, once the drama and suspense and conflict is over, it really is time to end the book. Think of Pride and Prejudice--do we really want to see Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy get married, settle down, have kids, go to work, clean the house blah blah blah...(sounds like a book about my life, and I don't want to read about my life!) We might think we do, but a sequel would be really boring. But not as boring as Breaking Dawn--was there a conflict at all? NOTHING bad even happened. Everything Bella worried about was resolved almost instantly--lucky her... but no fun for the bored reader! Have I used that word enough?


I don't even want to dwell on the disturbing, yet somehow still boring parts of the book--like how Bella is covered in bruises after her wedding night--is anyone worried about having young girls read this? Or, what about Bella craving and drinking blood when she's pregnant--then vomitting it up--SICK! And was it really a big surprise that she got pregnant? We knew this was coming from book 2...

And here's the other thing I have to say. Anyone who compares the Twilight books to Harry Potter should be grounded. In Harry Potter, we know the characters--we love the good ones and hate the bad ones and are intrigued by the ambiguous ones. In Twilight she only really develops three characters--Bella (obnoxious), Edward, and Jacob (and maybe Alice and Bella's dad a little). The rest are totally indistinguishable. So you would think she would keep the only reasonably interesting conflict alive--that love triangle between the three. But no, it's all resolved in like the first 150 pages. BORING. Then the big fight at the end, which turns out to be nothing because Bella is so awesome and powerful and had no problem at all becoming a vampire, is confusing because who knows or cares about all these characters that only come around at the end? Each time a new vampire comes to join them, I have to wonder--will this one be gorgeous beyond all reason too? Yep! And was anyone really scared at the end? I mean, we hear everything Bella thinks and she knows her life is coming to an end over and over and over and over again...Also, do we really care about a character that is introduced in the last 10 pages (that half human, half vampire guy). Do you think she's opening this up for a sequel?


Obviously I'm reading too much into this...I'm just mad at myself right now for wasting so much time, and I know it's my fault! And it's set in Forks so I HAD to read it! I'm just jealous that I didn't write it myself! So I'll end this now and go do something more useful...like sleeping


7 comments:

Eden said...

Personally, I think ALL great books should build up to a horrific war of certain death and then end up just "talking it out"--that was awesome! AND did you ever explore the symbolic deepitude of the of the baby vampire? It's like society . . . social milieu . . . dew on a rose . .

Camille said...

Lols Sara. I was pleasantly entertained by the Twilight books, and it had been so long since I had read the first three by the time Breaking Dawn came out, I felt pretty detached from the whole story. I'm with you though, I'm wishing I would have been the one to write it...

farmgirl said...

W-O-W. Don't hold back so much, Sara. It's not good to keep these things bottled up. Tell me how you really felt about the book.
On the bright side, now you can finally enjoy Stace's top ten vampire post. I actually got a kick out of reading your ranting- you make me laugh. :0)

Indiana Downings said...

It was great to hear someone else didn't enjoy this book. I am so over the craze I can't stand it!
I think it was a waste of my time and have no intention of seeing the movie.

Anonymous said...

I am laughing so hard, you are hilarious! I have to second the "don't hold back so much, Sara" comment! Come on, tell us the truth.
I also have to agree with you about not wanting a young girl to be reading it!

janan grange said...

Sara,
I agree!!! As I finished the book, I turned to Scott and said, "Now, why did I just read all day for that!" I thought the book was way to cheesy and the happy ending was just too much. I laughed when I read your post. Hope things are going well
Janan

Sarah said...

yep-- totally agree. But I didn't think too much of the first 3 books either (even though I willingly read them a second time before reading this last one). But I also am a Victoria Holt and Clive Cussler fan, and their writing is about on par with Meyers.