July 11 Grandpa Layton passed away at age almost-93. He must have known that all of his family was scheduled to come to the Layton family reunion on July 16, so he made it easy for us to all get together to honor him and also have fun together as a big extended family. The viewing/party started on July 16. I know grandpa would have enjoyed the raucous at the funeral home as we all hugged, laughed, ran around, and greeted each other!
July 12 was the funeral at the church in Provo. Steve's dad gave a memorable talk about grandpa--his personality, historical context of his life, quirks, likes, dislikes, etc. We then went to the cemetery where Gabe found a water spicket and turned it on to get a drink right by the casket and got all wet, then climbed a tree and got covered in sap. Hey--he was thirsty and bored! After that, grandma's ward fed us all (we were all wondering if they had to make a Costco run when they saw how big the family was!), and then the reunion started with a service project, dinner, pictures, and talent show. The Ken Layton family did a musical number from "Sound of Music"--"so long, farewell, aufwiedersehen, good-bye...."
Here are some of the pictures Matt took. This is the whole Ken and Kathleen Layton family--including a photocopied cutout of Taylor's face.
Engagement photo!
Layton girls: Kathleen, Annie, Sarah, Melanie, Sara, Kayla, Sydney. Where were you Missy and Heidi????
Steve's parents--another engagement photo!
And here's the whole lot of them. Grandma and Grandpa have 8 living children, who each had a bunch of kids themselves, and now a majority of them have kids too. It really is amazing how two people can create this size of a family in one lifetime! Grandpa should be so proud!
Saturday, July 18, we all met back at the park for games and good-byes, then the Ken and Kathleen Layton family went to Cowabunga water park, then the adults went out to dinner for Steve's birthday (37!).
So there you have it--now don't say I never update my blog!
9 comments:
Great pictures! I am sure Grandpa is proud of this beautiful family! We are looking forward to seeing everyone next summer.
I'm just glad Jimmy's face gets a break...
Bob, I know....seriously!
Congrats! I gave up checking you on a regular basis just last week. ;o)
You look so durn pretty in all those pictures too!
How 'bout no more six month breaks?
What no update on your trip to Hawaii????
Holy cow, you put up a new post!! I love the pictures of you and Steve. You look great.
I agree with Robyn, I want to hear all about Hawaii!! I bet it was fantastic.
Sara, Hi it's Megan Andersen. Okay, so I have to admit that Yes...I am a blog stalker of yours! Hopefully it is not weird for you that I keep tabs on you. I have to agree with Robin...I have been waiting for some Hawaii pictures. But I completely understand that your a busy mom with LOTS to do!!
Okay, so that is really weird that I was logged into as Karlee...I hate computers!
wow, those engagement shots...you would never guess that you've actually been married for wait, like 15 years??? i've lost track--all i know is that it was still in the days of the puffy sleeves...
Post a Comment