Friday night we went to a leap year 80's party at our backyard neighbors, the Fry's, house. They had 80's karaoke (Steve and I performed "Sara"--I always hated that song because my sisters would sing "Sara, Sara, no time is a good time for Sara...). They turned their garage into an 80's dance floor, and their backyard into a movie theater showing "Ferris Beuller's Day Off" and "Sixteen Candles." They even had 80's food--pop rocks, gummy bears, jaw breakers, zingers, etc. And what flashbacks we had. I loved the dance! The girls danced together on fast dances and relived that transition between a fast song and a dreaded/anticipated slow song--those moments when you had to pretend to be really interested in talking to your girlfriends so that it looked like you were too busy to care if someone would ask you to dance. It was almost like everyone there had gone to the same school and had the same 80's experiences, so similar were our memories!
Someone commented on how you could almost predict, especially with the guys, who would show up as a prep (some with the double polo shirts, some with cassette tape walkmans) , and who would sport a mullet and AC/DC t-shirt. I think Steve was actually able to work through some of his past issues with feeling inadequate around those popular mullet guys. That night he was able to relive his past, but realize that he wasn't inferior to them and didn't need to be intimidated by them anymore--they are his friends now, and he can beat most (if not all!) of them in basketball now, so who cares that he never was part of the jock crowd in high school? Or, maybe I'm reading too much into what Steve was feeling...I've been known to do that before!
This was me in 8th grade. I loved the shoulder pads and brooch
Here's Steve of course. He was never allowed to have a mullet, and isn't he glad now!
Dru, Melissa, and Andrea
Love this face I'm pulling. I went for the practical, everyday 80s look. I think I actually wore this in the 80s. I'm not sure if my shoulder pads are big enough though!








6 comments:
glad you had so much fun...we were black listed so we didn't go. We had way more fun painting though.
Love the broach BTW.
feel free to rip pics from my blog anyday senorita!! :) no problemo! and i loved your psycho-analysis of steve's 80's experience and his "cleansing" himself of those inadequacy feelings at the party. he should feel good about himself, he is the hoopster extra-ordinare!
Hey, those pictures look familiar!! I am glad that Steve never had a mullet. I hope that hairstyle never comes back!
Sara-- you look just like a friend of mine in that first photo you posted of myself. Crazy. It just lends credence to the theory that you led a parallel life to mine . . .
Looks like so much fun. Makes me want to sing "I wanna thrill, I wanna chill, I wanna wow, I want it now, I wanna go, I wanno Fasta!"
i meant wanna go fasta, but you get what i'm saying (all the wayical) :)
Post a Comment