Well, I survived week three of summer vacation. I'm training for the St. George marathon, and I'm also thinking of this summer as a marathon. So if I do a few calculations, we have 27% of summer behind us, which would be equivalent to about 7 miles of the marathon, so I should still be feeling pretty good since I'm taking it slow and easy! It actually hasn't been too bad yet!
Sydney has been working on her pre-algebra, speaking of mathematical calculations, and I have actually been enjoying teaching it to her when she's needed help. It's surprising how much I remember, though calculus might be a different story. She missed girls camp this year because she is a few weeks too young, but she was fine and played with younger friends and her Catholic friend.
Asher has a chore chart that includes reading, math, chores, and 20 minutes physical activity. He does the minimum requirements and then hangs out, trying to stay out of my way so I don't make him do any other "enrichment" activities. He might be joining the swim team tomorrow, if I can get him to commit! We are going to be finishing up his requirements for his wolf badge tomorrow since he will be turning 9 this week!
Jonah lost his first tooth yesterday and immediately dropped it in the garage. He was in tears looking for it, and picked up a piece of wheat and showed it to Steve as though it was his tooth! When Steve told him it wasn't a tooth he was near break-down. The next thing he picked up looked like a piece of rock salt, but of course we said "congratulations! you found your tooth!" We put it in a baggy and he left in under the pillow for the tooth fairy last night.
Gabe has been playing with his friend Talon a lot this week. He and Claire took our toads (Toby and Tina) out of the cage and took them over to Claire's house. Nat screamed and told them to take them outside, so they dropped them in the neighbor's pond and that's the last we've seen of our "pets." He gave his best fake crying performance for the prayer at dinner that night ("please bless that we'll find Toby and Tina....sniff sniff") but, alas, they haven't shown up.
Bridget learned what the kitty says this week. She has been watching Barbie Princess and the Pauper and trying to sing the songs. She likes to find my garment tops in the dirty clothes and puts them over her head. They help her fall asleep--she must like my smell--funny baby!
Steve had a good father's day today, I think. He got what he wanted--a GPS for the car and lots of strawberries--strawberry crepes for breakfast in bed and strawberry shortcake. Sarah and Dave came to stay for the night and came to church with us today. We had a fun, short visit. The kids seem starved for attention and love to show off.
Our "official" marathon program starts tomorrow with cross training at the gym. This is week sixteen, counting down to October. I went through three different pairs of shoes this past week trying to find some that didn't hurt the arches of my ducky feet, so that was my little obsession this past week. Hopefully I have that figured out now. Christy M. and are doing this together and it's fun having a training partner, even though I totally bonked on our last long run.
Well, wish me luck as I begin mile 8 of summer!
3 comments:
Good Luck! We just finished our first offical week of summer...whew! I was sick of all the compaining about having nothing to do...so we bought a trampoline...hopefully that will help burn a little energy.
love the summer/marathon analogy! very applicable and true! and jonah's tooth story was so pitiful, i had to laugh! i also love asher's chore chart, what a great idea. just think only 73% to go!
Poor Jonah! That will be a fun story to tell him when he gets older. Good luck with all the marathon training. I don't think you'll ever find me running a marathon!
Post a Comment