I love this picture of Asher eating an apple when he was two years old. We used to go to Sydney's diving meets together, and he would always sit and watch quietly as long as he had an apple. It's too bad my scanner doesn't do justice to his blue eyes.
Asher was a skinny, long newborn with fuzzy red hair. We brought him home to our little townhouse in Phoenix during the hottest part of the summer. When I look back on that time, I'm glad it's over! He was a hard baby who cried a lot because of his ear infections. As soon as those were taken care of, he was a sweet, mellow little guy!
Not sure what's on his chin here--it must be on my scanner! Here is is at about 18 months ready for church.
Hmmm....who has his same hair now? It's so funny how much Bridget's hair looks like his--especially the two curls on the sides.For his birthday we had planned a birthday party that we had to cancel, but later that night we swam together as a family. That evening was when I found my neighbor in his garage after he shot himself in the back (long story--he is doing okay now I guess--as well as you can do without a colon or lower intestine--but I don't know for sure the details of what or why it actually happened). I was putting my kids in the van when I heard him screaming about his back. I was hoping his family was home but drove over to check on him and found him on the ground in the garage. I ran home and called 911, leaving my kids in the van parked in front of his house, then came back and waited for the ambulance, although I have now heard from my neighbor who knows a police officer that maybe he had a phone with him before I got there, so I basically didn't really do anything to help , which I feel bad about. I tried to talk to him to keep him awake and lucid until they came for him, but anyway, it was pretty traumatic for me at the time. Coincidentally, the son of the man who shot himself was supposed to be at Asher's party at the exact time of the shooting, so I think there must have been a reason for Asher to get sick and have to cancel the party so that that boy didn't have to be around to see the trauma. So that was Asher's actual birthday--wasn't that fun?
We rescheduled the party for this Tuesday, and I think it was a lot of fun. They swam, played with water balloons, had jumping off the ladder contests, ate pizza, opened presents--all that fun stuff. It ended up that he was the first of 5 cases of strep in our family--me included! Bridget also had a fever but no strep, and Steve was already on antibiotics from his walking pneumonia a week or two before, so he was spared. So, thanks Asher, for your birthday gift to us!:0) We all love you Ash. Thanks for being a good kid, a kind brother, and a loyal friend. Asher reminded me that he will be going on a mission in only 10 years. I'm sure that will go by in a flash the way life is going. The first nine have gone by too quickly!
6 comments:
Holy. Cow. What do you say to all that. Well, I'm glad Asher didn't drown in the shower and your neighbor didn't kill himself. If I were you I would need a little therapy after a week like that.
Sara,
What a few weeks. I am glad you survived. How frightening for you with Asher and how fun that everyone got sick. I am glad you are still standing. Hope the next few weeks are much better.
Wowee...Quite the week!
What a traumatic couple of days! I am glad everyone is getting better. That is crazy that the strep throat bug hit Asher so hard, though. I hope this week is a ton better for you.
the whole shower story, gave me chills! glad he's okay. that is always my fear (and somewhat justifiably so considering your post) that something awful will happen right before a birthday party, or holiday or family vacation, etc. way to stick it out and i am glad he got to have his fun friend party anyway! love fuzzy red heads!!!
How cute is little Asher? I love that first picture. And his red curls...sigh. I hope somday I get a baby with red curls.
I still can't believe the story of your neighbor. And now he has no colon? Holy cow. That kind of sucks for him. But kudos to you for saving his life :0)
Post a Comment